Are you looking to add more power to your serve? While there are countless videos on the internet that promise to help you hit “killer” serves or add “15 extra miles per hour” to them, the truth is that there’s no magic formula for improvement other than practice.
To help you on your journey, I’ve put together a checklist of six things to consider when trying to improve your serve:
1. Proper technique, timing, and body flexibility are essential for a fast serve.
2. To add power, use your legs by bending them during the toss and then springing into the shot.
3. The toss should be further in front and not too high. A high toss can create friction on the downfall against your racket, resulting in more spin and less power.
4. Keep your tossing arm up longer for better balance.
5. Use a continental grip, which allows for more wrist action, and keep your grip relaxed.
6. Lower string tension provides a trampoline effect, resulting in added pace to your serve.
Remember, the key to improvement is practice. Get out on the tennis court and put these tips into action. Have fun and keep working at it!
Certified Tennis Coach
Check out my work at WebTennis24 where I share with you my best video tennis lessons, drills and tips for players, coaches and tennis parents.